Saturday, February 23, 2013

Of bugs & beasties

I have often reported on the visits of birds - kingfishers, tuis - to our backyard which have delighted me.

But recently it has been the turn of other animals to come calling.

I got home from work one day to discover a dragonfly inside the house and trying to get out. Needless to say I took photos and THEN released it!



And then yesterday, while mowing the lawn I had to work around a monarch butterfly who had decided it need a rest on the back lawn. I tried picking it up and putting it on some leaves on a tree, but it seemed to prefer the grass! So I worked around it until it decided it was time to move on.

And, finally, later the same day, in the mid-afternoon sun & heat, a curious hedgehog came out to wander around the lawn. It was bewildered by the noise of my camera, took fright and scuttled back into the undergrowth, presumably heading back to bed!


No comments: