Friday, January 25, 2013

A recent sighting

I have often waxed lyrical about our backyard and how much pleasure I get from sitting and observing the birds and refreshing myself in its peacefulness.

These last few days have seen several visits by some newcomers. Desiree thinks we may have seen them before, when the girls were young, but I can't remember ever having seen KINGFISHERS visiting our back yard before. They are lovely birds, more commonly associated with coastal locations, and with a very distinctive call.

On Friday evening I wasn't able to capture one sitting in our trees, although I did see a pair sitting on a neighbour's TV aerial.


And then this morning I saw one near the riverbank.

But later this morning I heard one calling nearby, and then saw it sitting in our kowhai tree! Extraordinary!




No comments: